Monday, January 2, 2012

Cherry Stained Lips: About the Blog

Last fall, I got to meet my grandmother after four years. At 93 years old, she has thickest, shiniest hair I have seen on a woman over 50, let alone in her 90's. It was a shameful moment to see that my hair, thanks to years of unrequested straightening, was thinner, coarser and in such horrible condition in comparison to hers.

I asked her what her secret was and she told me she put coconut oil in her hair. A piece of advice that Indian women have been shelling out for centuries, that I have heard numerous times over the years, and most importantly, a piece of advice I never took the time to implement in my daily routine.

Earlier this year, I decided to give this not-so-secretive advice a shot. Women all over South Asia have been lathering their hair with coconut oil, just like Italian women lather their hair with olive oil. After a few uses of oil, I noticed that I eliminated the need for conditioner.

All this got me thinking of whether my beauty regiment needs a makeover. If I can save money and use organic essential products to achieve the same results as the chemical infested conditioners and beauty products--then why not?

I did a little research and found that the average woman spends $50,000 on hair products alone in her life time. $50,000!!!

That's sort of the goal of this blog. I'm trying to find beauty tricks to eliminate unessential expenses, find recipes for "at home treatments" for my body/hair and to test & report what works and what doesn't.


Luann

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I came across this blog! Would love to read and try your recipes!

    ReplyDelete